What a terrible blogger I’ve become!
I swear, there’s something about having five kids that is somehow ten times as busy-making as having four kids. I love it, but my does it interfere with my productivity!
We’ve been busy bees around here…
- The boys and I went to the Science and Nature Conference.
- The whole lot of us went to a homeschool day at the petroglyphs, where we taught kids how to make their own atlatls and hunt the buffalo (the wind meant they had a rough go at it!).
- We all went to a PBS screening of a show they produced about parks in our area, at a nearby historic theater. It was fun seeing “our” parks featured and seeing them interviewing our friends from the park.
- I’ve been busy planting my garden for the year. In so far: red and orange carrots, lots of lettuces, spinach, lots of kinds of peas, potatoes (which got overly wet and rotted so I have to replant), chard, turnips, dill, cilantro, nasturtiums, beets, lots of tomatoes (started indoors early), eggplants (ditto), basil, sunflowers, borage, and probably a few things I’ve forgotten! And I’m not even a third of the way done….
- We’re planning a trip to the Badlands next week.
- Anna spent 5 days with family friends in Northern Minnesota.
- Daryl and the girls have been doing a lot of birding.
- Anna and Victoria have been doing lots of biking.
- Victoria has been doing a lot of photography.
- Daryl and the kids are in the Wilder Pageant again. Toria is sitting out this year and Fiona will still be home with me, but the rest of them will be busy with rehearsals soon.
- We’ve been enjoying the warm weather (at last!) with lots of time outside — playing in the sandbox, heading to the beach, climbing trees, riding Big Wheels, playing ball, going to the park, walking the dog, working in the yard, making mud pies, you name it.
I have a list of 100 things I want to learn/teach in our homeschool by the end of the summer. We’re having fun working on it. The kids helped make the list and I have no idea how many we’ll get done but it’s a fun goal.
We’ll be doing some Civil War reenacting next month and there’s all sorts of homeschool projects I want to get to and books I want to read with the kids. My to-do list is several thousand items long, I think.
This year is so much better than last year at this time! Some experiences really do keep you focusing on the big picture and counting your blessings. I am so grateful to have last year that far behind us and Toria healthy and tentatively cancer-free.
I’m hoping it will be a pretty awesome summer. I’ll do what I can to help make it happen!