It’s that time of year again.
Opening night for the Wilder Pageant is in two days.
The next three weeks will be crazy.
- Most of my family will be at the pageant every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night until after 1 a.m.
- Every evening there will be the frantic search for clean costumes from the dryer, missing shoes, bonnets, etc.
- My kids will walk around during the day with smudged black “fishtails” around their eyes from stage makeup.
- Thousands of people will be filling the hillside by the banks of Plum Creek in Walnut Grove to watch the show every weekend.
- For two hours each performance night, the stage area will be transformed with real fires, horse drawn wagons, a grasshopper plague, singing, dancing and drama under the stars.
- My cast members will bring Sharpies every night to sign programs, t-shirts and the occasional car (!) after performances.
- My kiddos will fall asleep exhausted within minutes of getting home in the wee hours, and sleep late.
- Our lives will be transformed in the frantic, exciting, magical annual passage back to the past.
This will be Anna’s 9th year in the pageant and Daryl’s 8th. Victoria is sitting out this summer, after doing it every year starting when she was six. This is Jack’s 2nd or 3rd year and Alex’s very first.
Let the exhaustion begin.